Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Mac and Cheese

Cheese.  Whenever anyone asks what my favourite food it, that's the answer.  Cheese.  Its no wonder I'm holding on to extra weight when I keep making things like this Mac and Cheese.  But my kids love it... as in, no one complains (as long as I keep some noodles out of the sauce for the one allergic to milk).  This is mostly just the same recipe I grew up eating, but I do add a few extra flavours to keep things interesting.

Mac & Cheese

12-16 oz pasta shape of choice (I know it says mac--as in macaroni but I usually use shells or penne)
3 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 cups freshly grated medium cheddar cheese

Boil pasta as directed on package.  While the noodles cook, put butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat until melted.  Whisk in flour.  Slowly add the milk, whisking and making smooth as you add.  Stir in salt, pepper, ground mustard, and garlic powder.  Continue cooking and stirring until the sauce thickens.  Once thick, stir in cheese and keep stirring until melted (this is a great way to get kids involved.  They love to stir!).

When pasta is cooked, drain.  Put back into the cooking pot and add the cheese sauce.  Stir to combine.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment