Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Corn Flake Candy


Do you ever buy something at the grocery store only to realize that none of your family will eat it?  I think I realized why Corn Flakes are so cheap... so they sat in my cupboard way longer than any cold cereal should (or ever does).  I reached back into my memory and thought of this super yummy treat from my youth.

When I was 16, in order to accomplish a goal called Young Womanhood Recognition I helped put together a cook book from all the young women from my church ward (congregation) between the ages of 12-18.  I had to dig through my cook books in order to find it, but I did and good news (!) the recipe for this candy was in it like I remembered!!

So I made it up this afternoon, a little afraid that my memory had increased the yumminess in my brain and that it wouldn't be as good as I remembered.  Well, let me tell you, I feared in vain.  It is even better than I remembered!  I even considered hiding it before my boys got home from school so I could keep it all to myself (I know I'm a mean mom!) but, never fear, reason won and they are currently enjoying it with me...

Go make some and enjoy it with your kids!  But first, answer this, what kinds of things do you have in your cupboard that no one wants to eat?

Corn Flake Candy
Recipe from Megan Clifton, adapted by hollidaisy

1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 cup peanut butter (I did half creamy, half crunchy~it just sits in my cupboard too)
5 cups Corn Flakes
3 cups Kix (the recipe doesn't call for them, just 8 cups flakes, but I added them and the texture is perfect!)

Combine corn syrup, sugar, and powdered milk in a sauce pan.  Cover the pan and slowly bring to a boil. I set my stove to medium/ medium low.  Stir frequently.  Remove from heat once it boils an stir in the peanut butter.  Pour this mixture over the cereal mixture in a large bowl.  Stir to evenly distribute the candy coating.  Spread the candy on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and let cool.  Try not to eat it all in one sitting. :)

I'd just like to say thanks to my 16 year old self for making this little treasure of a cook book so 30 year old me can enjoy all the yumminess within.

1 comment:

  1. They sound yummy. And some what healthy. A great way to get your kids to like corn flakes. Funny note: That is one of Dennis & your dad's favorite cereals.

    Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete