Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Whole Grain Waffles

We love to eat waffles at our house.  Topped with peanut butter and maple syrup reminds me of my childhood (though I didn't eat it that way as a kid, I thought my dad was crazy!). They are also super delicious topped with sliced strawberries and lemon syrup.  However you top them, these are a yummy healthier version of your traditional waffle.  The cornmeal adds a little crisp to them that I love.

Whole Grain Waffles
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp ground flax seed, soaked in 6 Tbsp water
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup applesauce
3 1/2 cups milk
2 Tbsp sugar
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Heat your waffle iron.  Beat eggs until fluffy.  Add butter, applesauce, milk.  You can mix the dry ingredients separately, but I never do... add flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Mix until no dry spots remain, but still a little lumpy.

Pour about 2/3 cup of batter on hot waffle iron.  Close lid and bake until done.  I do mine for a little less than 3 minutes, but I'm sure this depends on your iron.

Serve immediately.

You can stack them up and eat them as a group, but they lose their crispness.  You can heat your oven to 200 and place them on a cookie sheet to help keep them warm and crisp, but its not a perfect solution.  The best way to ensure you serve a light, crisp waffle is to serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment